Signing Day is here

LJS is reporting that 3-star cornerback Larry Tarver has flipped from Maryland to Nebraska and will be an early-enrollee in January.

LB Vincent Shaver has flipped from Miami to Nebraska, per LJS.

QB Daniel Kaelin has signed with Nebraska, per LJS. Assuming Raiola signs as expected, that gives Nebraska a lot of new talent in the QB room.

ESPN is still calling Nebraska’s 2024 class the 20th best in the nation.

Looks like we did well, not just with bringing in some quality young players but retaining some excellent existing players. That bodes well for us and points to a recovering culture in the program. It also was nice to see Nebraska get some national attention. Maybe Rhule is the right guy.

Reports out that Chubba Purdy will enter the portal. Really thought the starting job was his to lose.

Hated to see that. Purdy was much improved over last year. Not great but better for sure.

Tony Barnhart is not one of my favorite pundits but he posed an interesting question: “Of all the high school players who have signed in this period, what percentage will play their entire college careers in one place?”

I understand either way the players are set to come to UNL. But, I just wondered if players that come to UNL through the portal are considered part of the recruiting class. I know it is a fine line. It just seems the portal is a different route than traditional recruiting.

John Papenhagen

Players who transfer in will generally be part of a different recruiting class (retroactively). There are limits on individual class size as well as on the total scholarship roster size.

I think ESPN ranks HS recruit classes separately from transfer portal players, in part because HS players are a much bigger question mark coming in, there’s usually some college-level film on the transfers.

That’s an interesting question. I don’t know how transfers affect APR rankings, either. (Minnesota is in a bowl game rather than Nebraska because they had a better APR score.)

My guess is that once we reach a stable point (if that’s even possible), 50-60% of players will stay at one school for their college careers. You hear about the big name transfers, you don’t hear about all the players who stay. And that assumes that the Colorado model doesn’t become the standard for new coaches.