Northwestern gets OK to build new stadium

The Evanston City Council approved the 3 items needed to give the green light to Northwestern ripping down their current football stadium and building a new state-of-the-art stadium with a reduced capacity (35,000 compared to 47,000.) Two of the measures passed on 4-4 tie vote with the mayor breaking the tie and the third passed on a 6-2 vote. One member of the city council, a Northwestern employee, recused himself.

It is not clear how soon demolition of the current stadium will start, nor has Northwestern announced where their home games will be played the next two years.

The groups opposing the project are expected to seek legal redress.

When we still lived in the Chicago area, my dad and I attended the 1966 Notre Dame game at Dyche Stadium. Notre Dame, coached by Ara Parseghian, prevailed 35-7. I don’t remember much about the game. Wikipedia says that over 55,000 people attended the game.

They used to put up bleachers in the north end zone, but they built new locker rooms for the home team there in the 90’s. So that reduced the maximum capacity of the stadium, and the rebuild will drop it by another 12,000.